The National Safety Council has tips and considerations to help keep you safe this holiday season.
Security Tips for Holiday Travels:
1. Program electronic times to activate lights in certain rooms.
2. Inform neighbors of travel plans so they can keep an eye on your property and even collect any newspapers or mail that might accumulate.
3. Secure your home by locking all doors and windows. If you have an alarm system make sure you turn it on and that the alarm company has your most up to date contact information.
4. Notify your credit card companies of the city you will be traveling to so they can be aware of fraudulent charges.
5. Do not post your travel plans online or on social media – this notifies potential criminals that your home is available.