Below are five key home maintenance categories to focus on during the cold months.
- Heating System: Check your heating system, including filters, fuel tanks and maintenance of fire places.
- Insulation: Additional insulation in the attic can help protect against ice dams. Also check weather stripping around doors and windows to help guard against drafts.
- Utilities: Shut off water to exterior faucets. Learn how to shut off your homes water and know where your pipes are located in case they do freeze so you can prevent water damage.
- Winter Safety Measures: Trim trees and remove dead branches that could damage your home or vehicles or injure someone if they fall from ice, snow or wind. Keep gutters clear of debris to ensure snow can drain properly. Check your smoke detectors, fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries to ensure they are operating correctly.
- Key Supplies and Equipment: Make sure you have snow shovels on hand and stock up on your ice melting compound if you have walkways to maintain. Have your snow blower and generator serviced to ensure they are operating properly.